Friday, November 14, 2008

Page 56

Thanks to my friend, the proprietor of the Swandive, for this fun idea!

Rules:

* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence along with these instructions on your blog (or facebook wall).
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Addendum: feel free to post the sentence in the comments, and you are tagged.

Here's mine:

Santy Claus is going to come and the turkey won't be tough and we'll all get along.

Funny that should be the case--the character who says this is in the middle of a mini-soliloquy that snarkily anticipates a pain-in-the-butt Christmas. Which is my general feeling about the holiday season. Love the theology and fresh/authentic interpretations of the music, love the goodwill that always presents itself in lots of ways, HATE the shopping and crazy schedule and slap-on-plastic-grins-even-though-we're-
collapsing-from-stress cultural side of it.

Oh, and the ever-present mechanical music. Did I mention the mechanical music? If God had wanted plastic trees that beep out "Here Comes Santa Claus," we'd find them in natural forests, not retail ones.

The other funny thing about the way this turned out: the book is "The View from Mount Joy" by Lorna Landvik. I always look forward to her next book. They're all funny and insightful and just good stories, that have sweetness but not treacle. They're also about people I recognize, sometimes literally: she's a daughter of the congregation I serve! She isn't a member any more, but her stories take place in neighborhoods that are very reflective of mine. That's just fun. :-)

Incidentally, if you haven't seen Home for the Holidays, I thought it was hilarious!

9 comments:

Rachel said...

so awesome - I spoze I got some splainin' to do over at my pad.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Ok. I'll do this tomorrow. I didn't have a post for tomorrow yet.

Terri said...

ok...I will do this soon...

Edgington said...

"And How Funny You Are." p 56 When I Loved Myself Enough. Kim McMillen. 2001
Great little book that reminds us to live each day and love ourselves enough to let the light shine through to others.
Namaste'

p.s. we enjoy your blog

Catherine said...

"Really Thackery, you simply must learn to accept what you cannot change."

Fran said...

Home for the Holidays... so beloved by FranIam that I own a copy of the DVD!

Jan said...

Funny, funny!

Anonymous said...

"The Blood of Flowers", by Anita Amirrezvani, pg. 56, 5th sentence,

"And most of them weren't even ample."

Hmmmm....

Catherine said...

I have contributed once but I'll do it again!

"Kylie couldn't help herself;she laid her hand on Gretchen's bare wrist once more."