Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday five: what's in a name?

This week, Revhrod of the RevGalBlogPals writes:

If you are a regular reader of Songbird's blog, you know that "The Princess" has requested a new name. Her older brother changed his "secret identity" a while back and now this lovely young lady is searching for a new name on her mother's blog. This got me to thinking. How do we come up with all of these names? There must be at least a few good stories out there.

1. So how did you come up with your blogging name? And/or the name of your blog?


I guess "Choralgirl" leapt to mind because I'm a choral geek to my very core. :-) I'm also a punster; my mind was sort of toying with the word "choral" and naturally, "reef'" was there almost immediately. I loved the imagery of all those colors and hidden places beneath the surface of the water, and so, dum-ta-DAAAA, a blog was born. Curious choice for a midwesterner, though.

2. Are there any code names or secret identities in your blog? Any stories there?

Mostly just to preserve the privacy of the other actors in my little play...and, to some extent, my own: Beloved, Wonderful Colleague, and lots of representational "first letters" (though I sort of outed M and B here), but that was a special circumstance and I got their approval first. It's weird; many of my readers know one another, so I try to be respectful of those boundaries, and sensitive to the parallel reality that this creates.

3. What are some blog titles that you just love? For their cleverness, drama, or sheer, crazy fun?

Well, I'm a big fan of Reflectionary, 'cause it's such a graceful piece of word play; wish I'd thought of it! :-) On an entirely different note, Cap'n Dyke, Lesbian Pirate Queen and Rogue Blogger is hilarious. Found her through Fran I Am, also a clever one.

4. What three blogs are you devoted to? Other than the RevGalBlogPals of course!

Nope. Uh-uh. Not answering this one! Too many that I love! Take a look at my blogroll instead, 'K?

5. Who introduced you to the world of blogging and why?


Complex question. I think it started with conversation with Wonderful Colleague; this tree has two branches. First, someone we both know shared her blog with us, and I enjoyed reading it and talking with her and WC about it. Second, WC had been reading Real Live Preacher (which is wonderful), and I started, too. I got curious and started clicking around on his blogroll and found Don't Eat Alone, which became a regular staple in my spiritual diet and inspired me to start one of my own.

Bonus question: Have you ever met any of your blogging friends? Where are some of the places you've met these fun folks?

Well, Peg Kerr (see last question) was already a friend when I got into this, as were Mad Preacher, Karen and Sara. I was lucky to have dinner with Cecilia at the Festival of Homiletics, this past spring, and that's been a delight ever since. I'm hoping that I'll meet Diane and the proprietor of the Swandive soon, as we all live in the same metro.

8 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I always wondered about Choral Reef. Glad to read about its origins.

P.S. Off topic, Smokey sends slurps to Linus and Lucy and hopes they are continuing to feel better.

Anonymous said...

Great play - I love the plays on words, too.

Happy Friday!
warriormare

Jan said...

You are very creative with names, plus of course music. It's nice to see the links and your thoughts.

Unknown said...

Funny.

Auntie Knickers said...

Yes! Maybe next year when I come to Minneapolis again we can have a FourBloggerMeetup! Loved your explanation of blogname too.

Unknown said...

Ah, thank you for the compliment! I look forward to hearing what you are up to, as well.

Anonymous said...

Me Compliments an' thanks for th'Fine Huzzah ye be sendin' me way. A Low Bow with full leg extended an' a Piratical Flourish...

Fran said...

I have been loving this Friday Five and how bowled over I am to see my name in one a third time.

It was fun to hear how you came up with your name.

So glad you found Cap'n Dyke from my blog. I used to cavort with her at Blue Gal's salons on Monday nights, but alas my schedule has kept me from salon-ing much.

She's wicked and lovely all at once and she serves a mean grog but with a loving touch!