Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday five: potpourri

Will Smama of the RevGals writes:

Greetings friends! It's been awhile since I've contributed to the posts here at the revgalblogpals website, but I agreed to step into the Fifth Friday of the Month Friday Five slot.

So here I be.

As I zip around the webring it is quite clear that we are getting BUSY. "Tis the season" when clergy and laypeople alike walk the highwire from Fall programming to Christmas carrying their balancing pole with family/rest on the one side and turkey shelters/advent wreaths on the other.

And so I offer this Friday Five with 5 quick hit questions... and a bonus:

1) Your work day is done and the brain is fried, what do you do?


Play with the puppies! Good for what ails you. They're goofy. :-)


2) Your work week is done and the brain is fried (for some Friday, others Sunday afternoon), what do you do?

If it's Sunday afternoon, chances are decent that there's a family nap going on, all piled up in the bed. And then, Beloved and I try to keep Sunday evening as Date Night--usually cooking a nice dinner together and clearing out part of the TiVo, pups draped over our laps on the couch. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.


3) Like most of us, I often keep myself busy even while programs are on the tv. I stop to watch The Office and 30 Rock on Thursday nights. Do you have 'stop everything' tv programming or books or events or projects that are totally 'for you' moments?

Actually...blogging. I love to write, and the RevGals ring has quite a community going. I'm happy to be a part of it! We used to have "Grey's Anatomy" pause on Thursday; like the characters & the dialogue, but the storylines have sort of dropped in viability and interest. When "The L Word" first came out, that was a regular feature of Date Night, but same story there. If I've managed to stay awake long enough, The Daily Show is always worth a look.


4) When was the last time you laughed, really laughed? What was so funny?


Oh, jeez, every day! (see previous quesion) The pups crack me up on a regular basis, I have funny friends, and choir rehearsals are always full of jokes...from me and from the choir (particularly the bass section). The Vicar of Dibley is a recent discovery at our house, and it's a gutbuster!



Also, this got me going a couple of days ago:




5) What is a fairly common item that some people are willing to go cheap on, but you are not.


Culture. Live music and theater. Must hear several concerts a year; call it professional development, spiritual care, whatever. It's food to me, and I'm fortunate enough to live in one of the major cultural centers of the midwest. Two excellent orchestras, many choirs, lots of local theater and dance companies...an embarrassment of riches!


Bonus: It's become trite but is also true that we often benefit the most when we give. Go ahead, toot your own horn. When was the last time you gave until it felt good?


Got up in the middle of the night, two nights ago, with a puppy who needed to go out, and we managed to be quiet enough that Beloved could stay asleep! She's cute when she sleeps, all peaceful like that. :-)

5 comments:

Rachel said...

wow, we got the super in love with our partners, huh?

Still brewing about the hymn meme.
;)

Shalom said...

Great play. I am a huge Vicar fan as well.

And hey, if you're ever looking for a parish, let me know. :)

will smama said...

Love your culture response to #5. I remember finding the Vicar and immediately Netflixing the heck out of it!

Thanks for playing.

Deb said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Your second video had me rolling. I have people who MUST see it. MUST. And I love the Vicar of Dibley too. Her parish is just too much like life. :)

giggling...
Deb
read my lipstick... :)

Processing Counselor said...

I loved the second video and must steal it for my Blog, thanks. I want puppies or puppy.