Friday, February 6, 2009

Friday five: raindrops, kittens, kettles, mittens

Songbird of the RevGals writes: In a week of wondering how various things in our family life will unfold, I found myself thinking of the way Maria comforted the Von Trapp children in one of my favorite movies. Frightened by a thunder storm, the children descend upon her, and she sings to them about her favorite things, taking their minds off the storm. So, let's encourage ourselves. Share with us five of your favorite things. Use words or pictures, whatever expresses it best.

Up-front bonus answer: As it happens, Songbirds question comes from my favorite movie, of which I know every word. My first time seeing it was in utero, at the Coronado Theatre in Rockford, IL--and my family watched it together on TV (as it got shorter and shorter, edited to increase commercial time) every year. It was the first video...and then the first DVD I bought. Much better when viewed in its entirety!

Now, on with our program:

1. Home. My wife, my pups, the colors and clutter and comfort of our house. More musical instruments than we can play, my stack of "to read" books, photos of loved ones, our very eclectic CD collection and an absolutely gorgeous kitchen table (expands to seat 10 friends). Snuggling up together (all 4 of us) to watch a movie and have some hot kettle corn & a cold diet coke.

2. Making music. I have the privilege of leading three musical groups, two of them choirs, and it's terrific. I plan the music we'll work on, some guidance, some criticism, some encouragement, some insight; they bring their generosity and goodwill and sense of humor. We make something beautiful, we mess up, we laugh, and we grow together. Fantastic.


3. Hammock/book/beer in a warmer,slower season than this one--or a crackling fire/marshmallows/cocoa. First activity is solitary; second is best enjoyed with loved ones!


4. Discovering a new, wonderful author. I heard of John Updike's death a week or so ago, and realized that I'd never read anything he'd written. This seemed like a situation that should be remedied. I bought this book, which is intelligent, insightful and harrowing. It opens me, in that way really good writers can. And he's got a long list of books to savor.


5. Scandinavian baked goods. If it's beige, sweet, and flavored with almonds chances are good I'll like it. It's not just the sweets themselves, though they're wonderful. My (Norwegian!) grandma worked in a Swedish bakery and always had a treat for me when I came in. I miss her! Krumkake, skorpa, sandbakkels, pepparkakor, kransekake...mmmmmm.

8 comments:

RevAnne said...

Great play!

Jan said...

I loved how you put so many beloved things under the category of HOME! Good idea!

Choralgrrl said...

Thanks, Anne.

Jan, I love how you call that creativity instead of cheating! :-D

Unknown said...

I went with my family to Salzburg in 1978, and I got to stay at Schloss Leopoldskron where they filmed the patio and glass house scenes. It was very exciting!

Shalom said...

"beige, sweet, and covered with almonds" - love it! I'm in total agreement. You left off rosettes! But the things you listed are still great. Thanks for such a fun list. You reminded me of a story about Sound of Music: I'll try to post it later this weekend.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Ahhh, now I want cookies.

Jennifer said...

What a lovely post!
Although now I'm craving Scandinavian baked goods, solely based on your description.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

No matter how much I get made fun of - the Sound of Music is my all-time favorite movie and Julie was my childhood idol:)