1. My aunt once filled in the gaps in my family history for me. I love her a lot.
2. Never in my life will I willingly go hot-air ballooning, jump out of a plane, eat bugs or pee outside when it's possible to pee inside.
3. When I was five I had a ridiculous bowl haircut and a cool, olive-green bike that my dad made me.
4. High school was mostly hard. Not academically, but socially and familially.
5. I will never forget when I forgot the words AND music to a memorized (!) Vivaldi piece in my college Senior Recital. I did not panic; I made it up. My brilliant accompanist covered. The only one who knew was my voice coach!
6. Once I met my shadow side, I tried to treat her with compassion.
7. There’s this boy I know who is surprisingly kind, considering his environment.
8. Once, at a bar, I had a pickled egg. Blecccchhhhhh.
9. By noon, I'm usually fully conscious. :-)
10. Last night I was feeling sorry for myself.
11. If only I had a brain, a heart, the nerve...oh, and enough cash to pay off my credit cards. And maybe a minute in a back alley to kick the snot out of Karl Rove for our continuing culture war.
12. Next time I go to church I'll lead my newly-expanded choir in some Pergolesi. Mmmmm.
13. What worries me most...hmmm...another four years of disastrous foreign and economic policies, and/or losing Beloved.
14. When I turn my head left I see out the windows to a sunny day.
15. When I turn my head right I see a white wall with a thermostat on it.
16. You know I’m lying whenever I do it. I'm not good at it, and I'm not trying to improve.
17. What I miss most about the Eighties is playing in orchestra with L every day.
18. If I were a character in Shakespeare I’d be Beatrice! (Would I get to look like Emma Thompson, too?)
19. By this time next year I hope that I've lost another 20 pounds.
20. A better name for me would be...hmmm...well, I've always liked "Grace," but I'll stick with what I've got. Mine's easier to live up to. :-)
21. I have a hard time understanding fundagelicals.
22. If I ever go back to school, I’ll go for ordination.
23. You know I like you if I offer you part of my cookie. Seriously.
24. If I ever won an award, the first person I would thank would be Beloved, of course.
25. Take my advice, never take advice wholesale. Talk to those whose opinion you value, and then listen, listen, listen to that little voice in your soul.
26. My ideal breakfast is eaten at lunchtime! Some fluffy, eggy, cheesy thing; some bacon; some cinnamony coffee cake; some OJ? Maybe a mimosa?
27. A song I love but do not have, I'll make an effort to get. It's my job, ya know.
28. If you visit my hometown, I suggest continuing to drive right on through it, and keep going 'til you're in Chicago.
29. Why won’t people
- look past the surface?
- try to elevate public discourse?
- understand that some societal concerns should not be driven by the market?
- make decisions based upon reason, combined with compassion, insofar as it is possible?
- understand that the left lane is the passing lane?
- demand leadership that asks something of the citizenry, too?
- build a society that pays teachers and caregivers as much as titans of industry? Intangible benefits are great, but so is EATING during retirement.
31. I’d stop my wedding for no reason whatsoever; it took ten years to get it STARTED! And it was glorious.
32. The world could do without Fox News and media consolidation.
33. I’d rather lick the belly of a cockroach than ...sit next to Rush Limbaugh on a plane.
34. My favorite blondie is Beloved, of course. (Though I have no opposition to the occasional blonde brownie...it's the Lutheran in me . I love "bars.")
35. Paper clips are more useful than much political punditry.
36. If I do anything well it’s choir devotions.
37. I can’t help but love people who love to sing.
38. I usually cry when my congregation really cranks up on a hymn.
39. My advice to my nephew/niece: read everything you can get your hands on, don't be afraid to think or to love with everything you've got! Oh, and SING.
40. And by the way, if you think of it, send me your favorite cookie recipe!